Wedding Pro Tips & Tricks
How to Avoid Stress When Your Families Meet For The First Time At Your Wedding
Bringing your families together for the first time at your wedding doesn't have to be stressful. Here are some tips to help with your new in-laws.
- Have a great attitude going in.
- Be inclusive.
- Be respectful of any family traditions (religious and non-religious).
- Create opportunities for families to get together and have some fun BEFORE the wedding day. A rehearsal dinner is a great place to start, but it can be anything that puts everyone in the same room together. It doesn’t have to be fancy. In fact casual is usually better. Some couples plan a whole “wedding weekend” of events for their guests so everyone can get to know everyone else. A little familiarity goes a long way at the actual ceremony and reception.
- A growing trend is to allow open seating and not choose a side for the ceremony. This sends a great message about inclusivity and openness.
- Alternately seat members of your two families at the same table (or tables) at the reception.
- Serve dinner buffet style so guests aren’t stuck to their table all night.
Hiring the right professionals for your team is an excellent step in the right direction. A great wedding planner will alleviate the stress and anxiety so you can enjoy your big day. They will also have ideas and suggestions to fit your families, and make the whole experience more fun.